A weird little tidbit about my personality/spirit is that occasionally I get appalled by popular culture and sort of retreat into this place where I shun television and movies and songs on the radio, etc. I don't do it on purpose. It's as if my soul just needs a time out from the secular world for a little time dwelling on happier and purer things. I don't say this to be "holier than thou," but just to be honest. There are times when the hangover would make me laugh hysterically, and then there are times when I would have to turn it off because my heart gets heavy and start feeling icky watching it. So during one of these "why is everything on tv so disgusting" times, I stumbled across the Duggars and it did my heart a lot of good to watch this family. Yes. They have a million children. Yes. The older children are helping raise the younger children. Yes. Their children are very, very sheltered. Yes. There can be an air of sexism going on every now and then. BUT yes. They are one of the most faithful, kind, loving families that I've seen. They are all so kind and respectful of each other. The kids are wild like any children, but they are just so stinking good.
I'm going to make a point at some point. Recently I've had a lot of people around me going through a loss of one kind or another. Nothing is easy about losing someone/something that you care about. It's probably the hardest thing that people have to endure while they're in this world. It is a gut wrenching, can't breathe, heart breaking experience. I will also say that there is no "right" way to grieve, and it is a journey that every person has to make on their own and in their own time.
I say all of the above to get to this. I saw an episode of the Duggars recenlty that touched me beyond belief. It was the episode when Michelle Duggar loses baby number 20. She was going in to find out if it was a boy or a girl Duggar, and, instead, found out that the baby no longer had a heartbeat. I cannot imagine the sense of loss you would feel, but her reaction was saintly. The technician tells her the baby has no heartbeat, and she has a look of shock, tears up, and quotes the scripture "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, Blessed be the name of the Lord." It literally gave me chills. How was she able to feel that? How was she not cursing the God who allowed this to happen? It was literally one of the most touching moments of faith I've ever seen.
In no way am I saying that this should be everyone's reaction to loss. I know the stages of grief and I feel certain that at some point Michelle Duggar did ask some of those questions, but what I will say she is a woman to be admired and not attacked. I'm pretty sure I'll be calling for her canonization in a few years!
Here's to you Mrs. Duggar!
Ok. So it's Keepin It Real Thursday and I need to a 20 months blog! Life is crazy busy at the moment, but my goal is to get them done asap! I had to write a little about my girl Michelle because she's on my mind today as I think about yet another loss. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord. Job 1:21

I've always been a little fascinated by them, but I didn't really watch the show until this season. And I agree with your assessment of the family. They really are a beautiful, loving family. It hurts me when people criticize their willingness to have 19 children; God has obviously given them the ability and finances to care for them all!
ReplyDeleteI cried and cried when I watched Michelle quote that scripture over and over. It was so sad, but so graceful, grateful, and wise. My boyfriend even teared up watching that episode.
Laurel Walker played the guitar and sang "blessed be your name" at her own mother's funeral.
ReplyDeleteGreat assessment of a great family. We could all learn so much from them...whether we believe in their lifestyle or not. Good job, Jenny! So proud of you :) I just can't believe you are old enough to have a child (LOL). Blessed be the name! xoxo
ReplyDelete