An Ode to You

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Some days I wake up and I am delightfully aware of how good I have it.  Today is one of those days.  I know people are so put off by public displays of affection, but I say the world needs more love and less critical buzzfeed lists about what is appropriate for social media and life.  So here are my thoughts on this freezing cold morning in central Florida.



Here's to you dear husband!

Here's to the most thoughtful man I know.  The man who has always loved me for me...and believe me that's no easy task.  

To the man who buys the most thoughtful gifts that they still make me smile days, months, years later.

To the man who works hard all day and comes home and immediately wants to know how my day was and what we were up to.

To the man who not only tells me I'm beautiful every day but makes me believe it.


To the man who loved me through my chubby phase. :/

To the man who cleans the kitchen and bathes and puts the older child to bed so I can nurse the baby peacefully in a quiet room.

To the man who will run to the store at 9 pm if he realizes I don't have a diet coke for the morning.

To the man who thanks me everyday for all I do for our family when we all know he's breaking his back to survive residency without putting a strain on our family life.

To the man who asked me for Disney season passes for his birthday when I know what he really wants is a stand up paddle board.



To the life of the party and the one who can always make me laugh.

To the man who threatens a vasectomy every time our children start a revolution and then apologizes later because he knows it makes me sad.

To the man who always has a self improvement list going despite being pretty dern amazing the way he is.


To the man whose genes are responsible for making two of the cutest kids around and who has given me the most precious gifts in the world.

To the man who would rather go on a weekend get away with his wife then do anything else in the world.

To the man who is never afraid to be himself and have his own opinions (and outlandish and hilarious soap boxes).


To the man I've grown up with and learned some of life's big lessons with.

To the man who can perfectly balance sensitivity with masculinity.

 To the man who can bring more joy to John's face than anyone else, but who also is teaching him to be respectful, polite, and well behaved.

To the man who has started finding hidden mickeys and is embarrassed by it.


To you.  My "fravorite" one around.  Today (and everyday) I am so grateful for you.  I am so honored to be linked to you.  I can't imagine someone that I would rather journey on with.  

I see you.  I see what you do, and you are so loved.


I recently saw several of my friends sharing an article that a girl wrote about why you shouldn't be in a rush to get married in your twenties and how you miss out on life's great experiences and will end up unself-actualized (not bad for a made up word) and fat from having babies.  Well that was the gist of it at least.

It totally irked me.  Not because I encourage everyone to get married before they're ready.  I'm no fool about how marriage isn't for those who are not fully prepared for a lifetime of commitment and hard work.  But because we are a culture who views marriage as an ending point and not a beginning.  This article and many like it that people put their trust in make marriage sound like a jail sentence when marriage should be like stepping into the ultimate freedom.  Freedom to love and be loved unconditionally.  Freedom to grow and explore with someone who you trust with your life.  Freedom to  laugh, travel, and have fun with your best friend. Freedom to have the support to go back to school or change careers. Freedom to forgive and be forgiven.  Freedom to learn that life isn't really about you at all.  Freedom to know that self actualization is best learned through healthy, happy relationships and not through casual, meaningless encounters with strangers. 

Yes.  We married young.  Yes.  We're making sacrifices that many our age aren't having to make yet.  And yes.  We're experiencing the sacred.

So don't be fooled by those who speak on marriage but have never actually been married.  Don't rush into marriage, I agree.  Don't settle for anything less than the right person for you.  BUT don't believe our culture's ideas that personal growth ends at the alter...believe me, personal growth only begins there.

2 comments: