Match Day!

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Well it actually happened.  Match Day has come and gone.  I honestly never thought it would actually come, but it did and the intensity experienced did not disappoint. 

We attended a little prematch day party Thursday night which was fun, but I think it may have had made me a little more nervous.  Something about awkwardly fumbling through conversations without talking too much about the match was tiring to me.  BUT it was fun to see great friends of course!

Then the awaited morning.  We woke up, got ready, took Johnboy to school, and attended a Match Day breakfast. 

The nerves started kicking in...


After breakfast, we headed to...(I don't even know where the ceremony took place as I was a little out of it, but it was a beautiful auditorium/chapel/something on the Belhaven campus) the place Match Day took place.



After we got there, we waited...for what seemed like an eternity.


And then they started calling out our friends one by one.  It was so exciting to see everyone read where they had matched.  I don't think I realized that I was just as anxious for them as I was for us until the moment they read their card and the tears started flowing for them.  I was so proud of each and every one of them because I know how hard they've worked, and it just felt so gratifying to hear them read that they had matched into their dream residency spots.  This is one smart class of folks!

And then it happened.  Somewhere closer to the end they called Matt's name.  I think I stood up for some reason like I was going to hear better if I was standing.  After I realized I looked crazy, I sat down and settled for taking a few pictures.  And then I hear Matt read with a big smile on his face, "Matt Murray, Family Medicine, Halifix Health, Daytona Beach, FL."  



Wow. Talk about a weird feeling.  The wait was over.  I knew what our next few years would hold.  We are moving to Daytona Beach, FL.  I was so relieved, excited, terrified, elated, you name it.  The rest of the day was spent celebrating with friends and family and trying to come to terms with our new reality. 



I would be lying if I said it was a complete relief and joy to hear we were moving.  We had scrutinized this decision and I knew that placing Daytona Beach at the top of our list was the right thing to do, but I couldn't help but feel a little sense of loss as I thought of leaving our friends, of moving further away from family (and closer to some!), and of leaving my job, John's day care, and our church.  Yesterday (Monday) I took a day and let myself feel the sadness.  I was pretty bummed all day, but when I got home Matt and I went for a walk and talked through it.  I will have to say that by the end of the walk, it was so easy to remember why we had made this choice:

1. God has placed us where we need to be. Should be reason enough.

2. It was the best program for Matt.  Of all the places he interviewed, this program felt like it would leave him feeling prepared to be a family doctor.  Everyone has such a different learning style, and Matt seemed to think this program best matched his.

3. We have family in Florida, and it's comforting to think that we'll have a support system near by.

4. The beach.  Nuff said.

5. John will be so happy there. John is a little boy who LOVES all things outdoors.  Daytona Beach offers such a great outdoor lifestyle.  There are tons of parks, places to ride bikes, places to walk/run, the beach, AND the weather is good all year so you can enjoy them anytime!

6. The benefits of the program are good.  Good pay, cheaper insurance, etc.  When you have a family, these things matter.

7.  Rental homes are plentiful.

8. The people were so kind and welcoming!

9. This list could keep going, but there's always this reason to:



Yep! Disney is about 40 miles or so down the road! Yeehaw!

So all that to say, Match Day has come and gone.  There were highs and lows, but now we've settled on SO, SO EXCITED! We'll miss everyone dearly! We'll miss people at some of the other programs that we loved so much and were so honored to meet!  But we are so excited about our big move to the "a little bit trashy, but oh so lovable" Daytona Beach, FL!

Oh and someone out there: Buy our house! We have loved this little house so much and want to hand it over to someone who will love it just as much!



1 comment:

  1. The happy tears are flowing ... it took me forever to finish reading it for the stream! We are excited for y'all! God is good! Love to the Murray family!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete