TOMORROW is Match Day. A day that we've been waiting for. Almost aching for really. Now that it's tomorrow, the strangest emotions over take me. There's total excitement and anticipation laced with a tiny bit of total fear of what's to come, but mostly there's pride. I can't believe we've made it to this point, and that Matt is just a few months away from being a real deal doctor. These four years have had highs and lows, but our team (team murray that is) has come out so much stronger for them.
Here are some throw backs for you.
Matt getting his white coat...circa 2008.
Matt on his first day of wearing his white coat to school.
So tomorrow we find out where Matt will do his residency. And this is where I will try to briefly explain what this process has been like for us.
Firstly, Matt had to choose his specialty. He choose Family Medicine which was not an easy decision to make as sometimes in the medical community family medicine is viewed as sort of an "easy" residency for the not so bright doctors out there. I've never been prouder of Matt than the day he finally decided that he knew family medicine was right for him and that he would pursue it despite what others might think. Unfortunately, he's had to face a lot of criticism. He's heard all of the "you're too smart for that," and "you'll never make any money," and everything else that comes with it. He has always had the strength to look those people in the face, smile, and tell them that is just where his passion lies. I can't imagine him doing anything else because I have a similar passion for working with families. In some ways, I feel like God has called us to a ministry to families. That is the only way I can rationalize us both being drawn to the specialties we've chosen.
Ok that was too long...brief Jenni. Brief.
Ok so next he applied to several programs across the southeast and received interviews offers from all but one. Not too shabby I'd say. He decided on interviewing at about 9 of the programs, and then we spent SOOOO much time pouring over the decision of how to rank these programs. Honestly, it was agonizing at times. We were so torn between the desire to stay where we are and try something new. Torn between moving closer to our families or taking John even FURTHER away from family. Torn between whether a university based or community based program was right for Matt. Whew. It was a complicated decision nonetheless.
So we finally decided and Matt put his rank list in the magical Match computer system. As Matt and I were trying to decide, the programs were also trying to decide how they would rank the students as well. So then the programs decide and put their rank lists in the magical Match computer system, and THEN voila! The computer system matches the student to the program based on the rank lists entered.
In other words, Matt is going through sorority rush.
SO...tomorrow is the day we find out what the magical computer system will say our fate is. And to make matters a little more stressful, the match day ceremony is intense. All of the students and their families are in an auditorium. All of the students names are in a hat, and they draw a name. Said person, then must walk on stage and read where they matched for the first time to this crowd of people. When finished rejoicing or sobbing or fainting, they draw the name of the next student to come and do the same. Like I said. INTENSE.
I think we're all ready for the intensity and ready to know what the next little bit holds for us. I know that all of the programs Matt ranked would be great for him and great places for our family to live. So it's really a win-win, even if he gets his last choice.
I mean...we're a strong team of three these days. There will surely be some sense of loss as we start this next chapter, but there will also be so much to gain.
And if you're the praying type, give Matt and all of his friends a shot out for us. There will undoubtedly be some people who are disappointed tomorrow, and they will need the strength to know that it's going to be ok in the end.
Saw this on pinterest and thought it was a nice thought for this week.
I am not proof reading this for typos so don't tease me too much if you find a million. I'm a busy woman today!

