Keepin it Real Thursday...discipline

Thursday, March 22, 2012

So I'm a social worker.  I've been through years of college to learn about human behavior, and I can honestly say that I understand it fairly well and can advise other people on the complexities of interpersonal relationships, family dynamics, etc.  I understand the difference in discipline and punishment and even the important role that positive reinforcement plays in raising a happy, well adjusted child.  All this being said, I am the world's worst disciplinarian with my own child. 

Our house is constantly filled with a lot of laughter so John tends to think everything about life is a big joke.  If he throws food, he cracks up.  If he hits me or Matt, he cracks up even harder.  In no way is he a bad kid.  Honestly, he is sweet most of the time, but every now and then (like all children) he needs to be disciplined. 

And I can't do it.

I either can't stop laughing OR breakdown the minute he gives me the puppy dog face OR pop his little hand for him to just laugh at what I funny game we're playing.

For example, this is him playing in the bathtub.  I normal person would have said "John we can't splash like that in the tub because it's getting everything wet," but instead I just laughed and took a video of it.


Of course, it took forever for me to get him to change this behavior because I couldn't help but think it was precious.

And another example:  John and his sneaky ways with Matt's ukulele.  John knows he's not allowed to play with Matt's ukulele and is told so CONSTANTLY; however, whenever Matt and I forget and leave the office door open, he sneaks in, gets the ukulele, and runs as fast as he can to a hiding spot to play with it. He even has his own mini-guitar to play with, but he prefers the uke. 

So this is him this morning after I find him with the uke.

He's so pleased with himself.

And this is him after I've taken the uke and very firmly explained to him that the uke is not a toy.  (Looks like a toy to him I feel certain.)

Is that not the most pitiful face ever?


So now you see my problem.  I do realize that I've got to get better about this, but (here comes the justification...ready for it?) at this age, I still feel like redirection works best.  Pretty soon he'll be old enough for time out and all those other lovely behavior modification methods.  And a kid this cute will always be lovable to others right?! (Of course not)

John wanted to make sure everyone saw how real he's keeping it this morning. He says, "ain't nothin' realer than highwater pants and crocks y'all."


Keep it real folks!


No comments:

Post a Comment