The song has this beautiful prayer during the bridge that says
Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior
And everytime I pray that I am transported back to a younger time in my life when I would pray something like that and I would envision some grand way to live out my faith. I would picture myself in Africa building schools for orphaned children or following in Mother Theresa's foot steps and working with the poor or the sick or whoever the least of these were at the moment.
What I did not envision was sitting on the floor of a living room spoon feeding a precious baby boy peaches and oatmeal while pretending I was a cat to appease another darling boy's imagination. Yet in these moments I hear the voice of God saying this is where I need you to be in this season of life. I am not sure why my heart struggles to believe that motherhood is the work of God, but it always has. Perhaps it is because there is no glamour in wiping faces and hands after three meals and two snacks a day, and it feels altogether so ordinary. I feel like there must be some grander way of serving God, but He comes to me again and again in a million different ways saying "these are the least of these at this moment."
So today I will approach this task with the confidence in knowing that this is important work. That meals and tickles and peekaboo and singing Jesus Loves Me for the 15th time today is as much a part of the heart of God as putting a roof over orphaned children. Because if not me Lord, then who?
