Quick Sam Update!

Saturday, August 31, 2013

So many people have been so sweet to text, call, or facebook that I thought I should give a quick update for those who have been worried.

So far it appears that everything is fine and under control.

I woke up yesterday having contractions 4 minutes apart.  They were not super painful, but just present and consistent which was enough to worry me.  They would settle and then start back up again so after spending the day on my left side and drinking as much water as a person can handle, we opted for heading to the hospital to be checked out.

Second pregnancies are so different because we had finally gotten John down for nap and Matt thankfully had the day off so I convinced him to let me go to the hospital on my own.  He called ahead and spoke with the nurse and the doctor that I would see and they were so super kind and amazing when I got there.  John could sense something was up and he was having a difficult time so I just hated the thought of him waking up to a babysitter or us waking him up to go to the hospital so it turned out to be fine for me to go alone.

Once I arrived they got me all hooked up to the monitors, and baby boy looked great, but I was contracting like crazy on the monitor.  Nothing intense, just very present and consistent.  I was so worried about what that meant, but after doing an exam Dr. Asevedo said she didn't think it was preterm labor because it wasn't changing my cervix at all.  I have never been more relieved to hear something in my life.  They gave me iv fluids just to be safe and see if it would settle things down some and the contractions did space out a good bit, but they didn't go away.  When they got all the labs back, they found that I had a urinary tract infection that I wasn't having any symptoms from so we're all very hopeful that after a few doses of antibiotic, the contractions will stop.  Luckily, I was told that since they weren't changing my cervix that I could resume a reasonably normal life without much worry and just to ignore the contractions unless they got more intense.

In some ways I feel like such a weakling for having to be so sedentary during this pregnancy, but as long as baby is able to stay where he is and grow and be healthy, then sedentary it is.  If I'm being honest, I had visions of jogging everyday and staying so fit during this pregnancy, but it turns out that just chasing John is about as active as I can be without contracting so I'm trying to ignore my ever growing thighs and remember how short this time actually is.  Motherhood is amazing because you can so quickly forget about yourself and just want this tiny little guy to be safe and in the best spot he can be...chubby or not.

Back to the facts...they were able to get me out of the hospital and home by dinner so all is well in the Murray home.  Nina was already coming midweek so she bumped up her flight a few days and will be here this afternoon to help me with John and force me to take things easy.

Please continue to say some prayers that the contractions will settle with the antibiotic and that they will continue to not make any changes to the ole cervix.  I just want this little guy to be able to stay in the oven a little while longer.   Everyday is better than the last, but 8 more weeks would be phenomenal!

Thanks for all of the care and concern.  Y'all are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment