He started school! He's doing very well at school although he may not make you believe that if you were to ask him. Every time I pick him up and ask him about his day, he has nothing to say about it or says "I don't like it," BUT his teacher just raves about how sweet he is and how quickly he picks up every lesson. I'm hoping pretty soon he'll have more positive things to say about school. Thursdays seem to better than Tuesdays so I'm thinking the more he gets used to going, the more he'll enjoy it. I've been dropping him off at 8 am and picking him up at 11:45 am. It's amazing what all I can accomplish in the brief time he is in school two days a week. I've loved being able to get some of the "work" stuff done so that when he's not at school my time doesn't feel quite as divided. I only have a few more months before baby brother gets all of that time so I'm trying to enjoy it while I can.
Daddy is on a heavy rotation at work at the moment so John and I have to fill our days with tons of different stuff to keep busy. One afternoon/night when Matt was on call we made our own volcano. In John's world, this is the project of all projects.
Did my best to let him do it mostly by himself.
Very concentrated painting.
So proud of his work! (and a little of mine...he couldn't get focused on painting the outside of it. He just kept going back to try to paint the inside red like lava so I may have snuck a few strokes of paint on the outside to speed the process along a bit).
He had plenty of time to paint himself of course.
After letting it dry overnight, we set it off after Matt got in from the hospital. This is his serious volcano eruption face. One can't smile about that epic act.
Daddy finally had a day off so we headed down to Ponce Inlet for a little beach time and to visit the Marine Science Center.
All the surfer heads bobbing in the water. Believe it or not, I can already tell a tiny difference in the breeze on the beach. It's not cool by any means, but it's got just the faintest hint of "fall is coming" to it.
Love this pic.
Petting the stingrays at the science center. It's really the only thing that John wants to do while we're there. He leaves soaking wet from practically diving in to pet them and then frantically pulling his arm out when he thinks he got close to one of their mouths.
"Look at that!"
I had to take a picture of this turtle's neck. Is that not the longest neck in the world?
And this little fella was not on exhibit, but we sure did see him. Eek! Surprisingly this is the first snake I've seen since moving here. I hope they continue to make themselves so scarce!
In between school days, we've been trying to play hard. John and I are having some nap time wars lately. He isn't wanting to sleep, but if he doesn't, he's unbearable to be around by late afternoon. I think after a full week of working hard on figuring this out, I have learned that his nap needs to be a little later in the afternoon instead of right after lunch AND that he needs to have expended some energy to fall asleep without a fuss. The last few days have been SO much better. I am not ready for our nap to be a thing of the past. I just can't bear the thought of it.
Playing with Emma!
And that's what we've been up to! It has felt nice to settle back in to a bit of normalcy. Matt is off tomorrow so we're debating on whether or not we should take a trip to Disney since our passes are running out soon and I'm not getting any less pregnant, or if we should stick around here and do something a little more laid back. It's a good life when those are your options I reckon!
School, play, repeat. That's What John's Doing this Wednesday Thursday!