What John's Doing Wednesday! School Orientation

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Today my big boy is attending his school orientation for school that starts next week.  It is from 9-11 am, and I assumed that I would be there with him the entire time, but after 30 minutes of letting us explore his classroom and meet the other parents, they kicked us right out and said they would see us at 11 am!

 He barely woke up in time for orientation today, but we were able to get him dressed in this outfit that he picked out all by himself.  I loaded up all of his school supplies, paperwork, tuition check, change of clothes, snack in case they didn't have one today, diaper in case some unforeseen thing happened and he had two accidents, breakfast in case he was just extra hungry, and we headed off.  I felt like such a nerd when we got there because I was by far way over prepared for school orientation as many of the parents were just now asking for the school supply list and what tuition was going to be, etc.


I learned a few things in the first few minutes we were there.  

1.  John was so at home in the reading corner that we never explored another part of the classroom.


2.  Montessori really is the perfect fit for John, and I'm so thankful that we were able to make that happen for him.

3.  John is introducing himself to everyone as "John David" so I think he's considering a permanent switch soon.

4.  I am one worry wart of a mama.

I almost talked myself out of going this morning and just waiting until next year to try this.  At first because he slept so late today, and I just felt like he wasn't ready to have to be up for school and that it was just wrong to have to wake him up because he's just a baby tiny boy.  And then he didn't really have time to eat his breakfast because he's a slow breakfast eater, and I'm still sitting here worried about his hunger level at the moment.  And then he cried when we got there because I told him that he couldn't wear his cape and sunglasses and bring in his sword and shield, and I just felt like school was already stifling his creative and imaginative spirit.  

But I made myself go in, and he immediately took right to the classroom.  Then they announced that the parents could go and just return at 11 am to pick them up and ask any last minute questions, and my heart beat 6 times the normal rate.  I leaned over to John who was playing with a puzzle and said "baby mommy's going to let you play for a little bit and get to know your teacher and friends and I'll be back soon ok?"

And he said without looking up from his puzzle...

"ok. bye."

So there you have it folks.  I'm at home wiping my tears and worrying that he won't tell the teacher that he has to potty and that he's starving, and he has no care whatsoever that I left.  

I'm grateful though.  I wouldn't have made it out of there in one piece if he had started crying.  That may be why God has given me boys.  My heart may not be able to handle if John actually had half of the feelings that I project on to him in my fears.

Still trying to catch my breath folks.  Pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment