The much awaited Long Coat Ceremony did not disappoint. For the nonmedical folks, this is the ceremony when the fourth year medical students ditch the short med student coat for the long white doctor coat. UMC graduation is for all of the programs (dental, nursing, etc) so the Long Coat Ceremony is a really special moment with just the graduating medical students. We had a lot of family in town so that made a special moment even better. Matt said the welcome and prayer and also led the Hippocratic Oath. It was so neat to see him get that long coat. I can't even put into words how proud I was/am, but I'm pretty sure that our joy was tangible that night in the form of a shiny, new, LONG coat. Four years of blood, sweat, and tears was put into getting that extra foot of fabric, and I have to say that the man looked dern good in it.
Welcome.
You did it!
Leading the Hippocratic Oath!
Also a big thank you to my dear friend Angie Williams who wrestled five children while the adults attended the Long Coat Ceremony. I cannot say how much this meant to us Ang! You are the best!
The following day the fun continued with graduation. Graduations are always so interesting (in some ways...like some people have crazy names and observing the different ways that people can accessorize a cap and gown), but the most interesting part of Matt's graduation was when Chancellor Jones walked to the podium and said "I confer to you the degrees you have earned and all of the accompanying privileges" (or something like that) and in that moment, Matt went from Mr. Matt Murray to Dr. Matt Murray. Just like that. I could sort of feel a sense of great relief and responsibility flood the room in that moment.
After graduation, we spent time with family and then the joys of packing began! It was really a great two days of celebrating the last four years. And of course, here's the photographic evidence:
Lining up!
Hooded by his Uncle Robert. It was a sweet moment.
Aw.
Thanks again to Bill for letting all of our family descend upon his house to celebrate!