The Feminine Genius

Monday, June 22, 2015

I am leading a girl’s group for teens this summer, and I have been racking my brain on something to discuss with the group.  I could always talk about body image or sex or something similar that is sure to keep their attention, but the more I thought about a group specifically for women, the more I pondered what that even means today?  Seriously though.  We live in a world that I think has many of us so confused if it is even ok to identify as feminine, and I’m pretty sure that we don’t know what that looks like.  So naturally I decided to pick femininity as the topic of our first session.

When I sat and asked myself what do I immediately think of when I think of femininity, I realized that everything that I think of as feminine is an outward characteristic.  I have never identified as a “feminine” woman because I’m a bit too much of a hott mess.  To me femininity was shown in how put together a woman is.  Pretty hair, well-manicured nails, pink, beauty, etc.  I often say I want to be more feminine, but what I really mean is that I want to shower daily and look less like I live in the woods behind my house.  I don’t think I am alone in my definition of femininity.  I think this is especially true for my generation.  We were raised on fashion magazines that taught that being ideally feminine was a matter of how you wore your hair and make up.  And I hate to get all controversial, but we recently watched Bruce Jenner become the model of femininity by simply changing his exterior and dressing as a woman.  (My goal in writing is not to touch topics that I haven’t lived personally.  I am not and never will struggle with feelings of being transgendered so I don’t feel like it’s a topic that I can write about.  Bringing this up is simply an observation.)  The world has become enchanted with Caitlyn Jenner’s appearance and made me realize that perhaps we are a world that believes breasts, dresses, and pretty hair and make up are the definition of femininity.

After getting past the outward appearance definition of femininity, I had to really sit and ponder what makes me uncomfortable about the concept in general.  What makes me feel like this is almost a politically incorrect topic to discuss with young women.  And I realized that next on my list of thoughts on femininity was…feminism.  I think in our quest to make ourselves equal to men, we have decided we need to be men.  It is not that I cannot appreciate the need for the feminist movement, as I’m as grateful for the right to vote and work outside of the home as the next gal.  I just realize now that perhaps we have lost a bit of our own identity in the struggle.  I have read a hundred times that gender is a social construct and that we are essentially raised to be male or female, but after having raised two boys so far, I’m not sure that I believe that as much as I once did.  So that leads me to the next point…Is it ok to view women and men as equally important, but designed with different strengths and traits?   Is that an inherently anti-woman point of view?  Does that limit a woman to child rearing and supporting roles?  I don’t think so.  I don’t believe that recognizing what makes us uniquely feminine means we will elbow our way out of the work force and land ourselves barefoot and pregnant at home (although I am totally barefoot and pregnant and at home right now so what do I know!?).

So here I go.  Genesis 5:2 says “He created them male and female, and He blessed them and named them Man in the day when they were created.”

He created them male and female.  From a spiritual standpoint, I have to consider that, if He created them male or female, He had a reason to do so.  That He saw something uniquely beautiful and important in both male and female.  This is what brought me to Google “femininity and the Catholic church,” and, lo and behold, it is a very written-about topic.  In fact, Pope John Paul II wrote several letters specifically to women about what he calls the “feminine genius.”  It was so neat to skim over them (skim- I’m ashamed, but I’m in a hurry.  Definitely will read in detail soon).  So there are entire encyclicals dedicated to this very subject that had me so puzzled.  The letters were beautifully written and from a place of gratitude for the life of every woman…those who are wives, mothers, sisters, and friends.  Those who work in the home and outside of the home.  In expressing what makes a woman unique, the Church did not place women in a box, but celebrated what made women powerful and essential.

The “feminine genius” is said to be made up of the following traits: receptivity, sensitivity, generosity, and maternity.

Receptivity was initially a tough pill to swallow.  Upon first skimming I thought, “come on! Seriously?!  This trait sounds so…well, so barefoot and pregnant.”  BUT, after thinking it through, it made more sense.  If we consider what makes us uniquely feminine, it is our ability to receive.  Women often experience life inwardly.  When I think of receptivity, the scripture that comes to mind immediately is Luke 2:19- “but Mary kept all of these things in her heart and pondered them often.”  Receptivity not only shows our courageous acceptance of physical life, but the beautiful quality of women to spiritually accept life into our hearts.  We are thoughtful.  We are wise.  We are usually the ones who encourage people to stop, to consider, to think, and then to act.  Receptivity is a gift.

Now, ole sensitivity has a bad reputation.  People will say that women can’t be good leaders because we are overly sensitive.  Sensitivity, in this respect, is not some train wreck, out of control, emotionally unstable trait.  Sensitivity refers to a women’s ability to see past the exterior and into the hearts of others.  I could write for days on the glory that is sensitivity in women.  The older I get, the more I realize that women have a unique ability to see a need and, because of their deep sensitivity, act on that need.  How many times have you sensed that a friend was hurting even though she was smiling?  Or, how many times have you seen a community wide problem and been motivated to create a solution for it?  That, my friends, is why the world keeps spinning.  It is powered by the sensitivity of women.  This is a trait that I refuse to apologize for.  In my opinion, it is one of the most beautiful parts of the feminine genius.

Generosity is the action that comes from our sensitivity.  Women are willing to sacrifice and endure suffering for the good of others in a way that is often dumbfounding to men.  There is something so powerful in the spirit of a woman that allows us to live generosity in big ways.  If one was ever to dissect the total sacrifice that is motherhood, then he/she would never have to look far for an example of the generous trait of women.  But for women, generosity can go far beyond motherhood and into community activism, politics, professional careers, etc.  It is impossible not to think of someone like Mother Theresa and see how truly powerful and effective the trait of feminine generosity is for the world.

And lastly, maternity.  We cannot separate motherhood from what makes us feminine.  To say that we were not created with motherhood in mind would be silly.  I read recently that a mother/child bond is a socially constructed idea that is not inherent or natural at all, but as a mother and knowing mothers around the world, we would not choose a bond like this.  There is nothing easy about the mother/child bond.  It is gut wrenching and, at times, down right painful.  Believe me - maternity is the culmination of the other traits and largely what makes us uniquely feminine.  Maternity doesn’t have to refer only to physical motherhood, but spiritual or emotional maternity.  One can choose not to have children herself, but still be an outstanding “mother” to those that she touches.  We can all think of someone whom we respected and looked up to and who cared for our bodies, hearts, and souls without physically giving birth to us. 

So there you have it.  The feminine genius in a nutshell.  After researching all of this and spending some time thinking over it, I am delighted to know that what makes us feminine is our hearts and not our bodies.  I am having a very difficult time shaking the “I live in the woods behind my house” look, and, if my femininity were wrapped up in solely that, I would be a big, fat, miserable failure.  I am also delighted to know that I don’t have to deny what is uniquely in my heart to be more like a man and more politically correct.  I can be myself and be beautifully feminine without changing myself at all.

It is not our breasts or our clothes or the color pink that makes us women, but our sensitivity to the needs of the world and our generosity to act on those needs.  That is beautiful.  That is powerful.


That is femininity.

No comments:

Post a Comment