I am 24 weeks and 2 days today and things are moving along with no complications thus far! I feel very grateful that this pregnancy has been as easy as it has been. Every healthy pregnancy is a miracle, and I try my best not to take that for granted.
So far Mr. Kai Andrew has been continuing his trend as the easiest going in utero. He is starting to give some belly shaking kicks at night when all is quiet, but otherwise he's pretty quiet in there. I can't decide if he is actually quiet or if I just never stop moving and so he doesn't have a chance to impress me with his acrobatics. Recently I've started having talks with him when things get crazy chaotic around here that he's going to have to be on my team and help me out when he gets here- no colic or allergies or anything else. (Side note- I immediately feel like I'm jinxing myself by typing those words.)
My weight gain is a tiny bit slower than it was with the first two, but not dramatically slower. I think I'll probably end up gaining my norm- somewhere around 35-40 lbs. Maybe I should be embarrassed to say that, but I'm not. It is what it is, and I trust my body to do what I need to do to grow healthy babies.
I have a tiny bit of sciatica like back pain when I've been standing a lot or carrying either of the boys for a bit and I have started having Braxton Hicks occasionally when I'm active as well, but those are really the only two "symptoms" I'm having at the moment. The contractions are nothing like with Sam when I started contracting every time I moved for more than about 3 minutes. I'm fairly tired but I think that comes with the territory of motherhood.
I do think that I permanently live in a state of nesting, but it has amped up a bit recently. I have been organizing clothes and recently gave away three bags of clothes, toys, and baby supplies that had seen better days. We got the boys moved into the same room and so the nursery is open and ready for it's new inhabitant. I use the term "ready" loosely as Sam's monogram is still on the wall and it needs to be cleaned desperately, but it is vacant and there are some newborn clothes hanging up so it's close. We have been on car logistics mode now as well. We know that we have to buy a car because I cannot fit three car seats in the backseat of mine so we've taken both of our cars in to decide which one we need to trade in since they're both getting close to needing life support. Much to Matt's dismay, it turns out that my car is in significantly better shape than his (other than needing new tires which we got today) so it looks like we'll be saying goodbye to his beloved Explorer. It has 240,000 miles on it and he had a goal of trying to make it 500,000. I think we'll probably all have to wear black when we trade it in and consider allowing Matt some FMLA time to grieve. So in the next couple of months we'll be minivan shopping! Yes. Minivan. People hate them, but they are convenient and I need convenience in my life. I literally have no shame about it either. I tried to pretend like I was begrudgingly minivan shopping but the truth is I will jump up and down with joy for my minivan. Bring on a door that shuts itself. That is luxury.
So that's where we are! 24 weeks and 2 days and still as crazy as ever! John continues to be so sweet about Kai and his upcoming arrival and Sam continues to be oblivious and a bit of a tyrant. He's not going to love having a baby around. I'm pretty certain of that, BUT the great thing about a third baby is that you know the painful stuff doesn't last forever. Sam will adjust. We will adjust. And we'll all be better for having known Kai.
And now for those ridiculous pics I take of myself and send to my friends:
21 weeks and 6 days! Matt and I's anniversary!
23 weeks 5 days!
Looking rather rough but figured I'd take a quick one today before posting this. By the end of the day I can look like someone who just survived a natural disaster.
24 weeks and 2 days!
I feel like I'm about the same amount of big with Kai as I was with Sam and John. I just get really big bellied because I'm short and there isn't anywhere for baby to go other than out. I just roll with the twins comments and crazy looks when I say my due date now. And one day I'll address the "another boy?!!?" comments, but they're too exhausting to discuss now.
Cheers to the second trimester relief!



