The Potting Training Diaries...Day 1

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Well I was prepared for a day from hell, but today ended up being totally laid back.  We stripped down totally naked at John's request when he woke up in the morning.  He had a big cup of milk and some water early in the morning so I know that he started needing to potty, but he just wouldn't quite go.  After holding it for THREE hours, he finally sat down and had a big peepee in the potty! That was all it took to get him going.  Two more peepees and a poop in the potty before nap time! He never told me that he had to go, but willingly sat down when I asked him to because he was doing the "I need to potty!" dance.  I put him in a diaper for his nap because I didn't think he would make it through a nap on the first day without an accident, but he woke up almost three hours later with a dry diaper and had a big peepee in the potty when he got up.  I was so beyond proud.  Things got a little confusing when I think he needed to go before he headed out for swim class, but having an accident at swim class is totally ok because no one will ever know.  He will definitely wear a diaper to sleep tonight because I think it will be a bit before he's night trained.  He usually wakes up sopping wet in the morning so I don't want to set him up for failure.

All in all, it was WAAAAYYY easier than I expected.  I did have to break down and get out The Polar Express which I read to him 16 times today while he warmed up to the potty.  I swore off that book after Christmas because I can literally recite it from memory now, but you'll do what you got to do right?

So fingers crossed that this trend continues.  I always hear that it's a step forward, two steps back so I'm not naive enough to think we've got this down pat.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment