Farm Trip and a Disney Return!

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Two totally different experiences, but both surprisingly wonderful.

The farm that we like to go to to pick strawberries sent out an email this week saying that they were going to do hay rides through the orange groves on Saturday, and I can't pass up a hay ride on a farm.  I have no idea why, but I seriously love a trip to the farm.  This particular farm is family owned and operated and every trip there I feel blessed for having made the trip.  Always such a reminder of the power and beauty of nature and our God.

What I didn't know is that the orange trees were covered with orange blossoms and they apparently only last for one week hence the idea to do a hay ride through the orange groves on that Saturday.  It is an experience I won't forget.  If you ever get a chance to visit an orange grove while it has blossoms, do it! Not only are they beautiful, but they smell like heaven.  You are just overwhelmed with this lovely smell as soon as you get near them.  I also learned that only 2% of the blossoms will become oranges and that the tree naturally aborts the blossoms and later the smaller oranges so that it doesn't carry more weight than it can sustain.  Quite interesting to me!

After the hay ride we picked a few strawberries and got the world's most delicious fresh squeezed orange juice.  I also just so happened to make a dairy free/soy free strawberry pie with the strawberries and ate half of it in one sitting.  (Whoops!) It was the first dessert I could eat in awhile and it was amazing.

Love these two more than I can say.  My heart could burst.

 Had no clue that's how an onion grew?

A very pregnant goat.

 Pulling into the orange grove.

 Love the man driving this tractor.  He is the funniest, nicest farmer around.

 You can't really see them in this picture, but the bees were all over these blossoms.  Normally I don't love to be around bees, but it was neat to see them working these trees.


Sampling the strawberries!


Sam too. ;)

Matt has accused me of being the only person in the world who frequents any place west of the interstate in a beach town, but what can I say?  I love a farm.  And fresh squeezed orange juice.

And then on Sunday while Matt worked all day long, we texted back and forth about what we should do on his day off the next day.  He had worked his tail off all week (which means I was working mine off at home...we prefer having big daddy around! Sheesh!), and he said he really wanted to get out of town and go do something fun.  We have been forsaking renewing our Disney passes because we've been trying so hard to be responsible adults, but we decided it was time.  Sam was old enough and we weren't AS broke as we have been so we did it.  We bought our passes and went back to Disney! We surprised John Monday morning when he was getting dressed.  We said "we're going to the happiest place on Earth John.  Where do you think we're going?!"  and darling boy said "We're going to heaven!!"  Hahahaha....oh goodness.  He was just as excited about going to Disney World thankfully!

Disney was amazing.  Weather was great.  Lines were doable.  Sam was so easy and cooperative.  It felt so good to be back.  I had forgotten what a joy it is to watch John's eyes light up.  This trip we covered so much of Magic Kingdom and spent  A LOT of time meeting characters.  John loves to meet the characters most of all so we just went with it this trip.

 We're baaaacccckkk! Sam's first trip to Disney!

When we first got there I think John was overwhelmed and spent some time doing this.  Pouting.  At Disney.  Luckily it didn't take long for him to come around!

First stop the Swiss Family Robinson Tree house! Not sure if I've mentioned that John has become a fan of reading these condensed classics that we have at night before bed (well we read them to him...he's not that good).  He and Matt just finished Swiss Family Robinson so he was SO excited to get to see the tree house.  Sweetboy.

Checking it out!

Blue hats!  Sam had to wear this silly get up because he's not old enough for sunscreen.  Maybe a clue that he shouldn't be at Disney World? Nah.

Watching Jack Sparrow in the little show in front of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.  He was loving it!  And Sam tolerated the ride so well despite there being that drop in the beginning.  Maybe because he nursed through the whole thing.  If he has his gals, he could handle almost anything.





 Almost a decent family pic.  Please excuse my jean cut offs.  They're the only shorts that fit at the moment.  Baby weight is slowly coming off, but I may have to splurge on a pair of shorts here soon since we live in Florida. 




Rode Peter Pan, It's a Small World, Little Mermaid, and Winnie the Pooh this trip! Not too shabby for April.

John's favorite thing.  He was so star struck meeting THE REAL BUZZ LIGHTYEAR!


 To infinity and beyond!

 When we walked away he cried a little because he forgot to tell Buzz that he has his toy.  Poor guy.

 Picture from the buzz ride.  Please look at Matt manning the children while I was trying to get some points.  Shame on me. 

His beloved People Mover.


 The Incredibles Dance Party!  We got down!



It was an amazing day for sure.  Can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment