Easter 2014!

Monday, April 21, 2014

I felt more surprised by Easter this year than any other year.  It was Ash Wednesday.  I blinked.  It was Easter.  Or at least that is what it felt like to me.

It never fails that Matt is on a heavy rotation during Easter, but he actually had Easter Sunday off this year.  Rounded on Saturday, but was off ALL DAY on Sunday.  I think that was a first for us since his second year of medical school.

At the spur of the moment last week, I invited a few people over to dye and hunt Easter eggs at our house.  Nothing fancy, but just a low key play date.  Several of John's friends' parents have had little ones so what used to be a small play date grew into a play date with 5 toddlers and preschoolers and 5 infants.  Now that's a party!


 It was pretty much chaos, but a change from the norm is always nice.  Please note that my child is the only one that was shirtless and wearing a belt across his chest as an accessory.




He's a character.


Sweet Ollie wasn't quite old enough to dye eggs, but he's getting a jump start as a golfer.

Had to capture this one.  The two chief residents' sons seem to be following their dads' lead.

Saturday after Matt finished working, we hopped in the car and headed to St. Petersburg to spend Easter with my dad, stepmom, and sis.  Saturday they had plans to go to the Jimmy Buffett concert (lucky them!) so we spent some quality time with my sister, Callynn.

And by quality time, I mean milkshakes. ;)  Yumm!  

 We also did some Easter egg dying.

 And some Easter egg dye cleaning after a pretty epic spill.  Who leaves me in charge anyway right?

Sunday we drug these kiddos to 8 am mass.  Sam was sleeping so peacefully that I didn't want to wake him up for a picture in his church clothes. :(  It was hard to live without the picture, but we had a busy day ahead of us so I'll survive.



 Apparently great minds think alike? 

We did some Easter egg hunting around the house and checked out the Easter loot, and then we changed clothes to get ready for the big game!

My dad was asked to throw the first pitch at the Rays vs Yankees game, and as soon as we found it, we knew we had to find a way to be there.  Definitely didn't feel like a traditional Easter Sunday, but it was one that I will always remember and cherish.  I was so happy we were able to see him make the big pitch!  I wish I could tell you why he was asked, but he's too humble to explain.  I think it was because he's a super great surgeon, war veteran, and a great community member, but there's probably some fancy schmancy story that I wasn't told about as well.




This dern camera man decided to walk right in front of us, but check out that pitch!  I hear it was a pretty dern good throw from those who know about throwing.


Somebody sweet also cut his first tooth this day!  Ha.  It's just barely come through but you can feel it.






 We all had a blast, but I think John enjoyed himself the most.  I told Matt that I worry about him going to college because no one loves a party/game/social situation more than John.  He is all in I tell you.  

Here he is sleeping in his jersey.


And here he is today playing cowboy baseball player.  


I'm pretty sure the jersey just became a wardrobe staple.

Happy Easter to you and yours!  Hope it was amazing.  I'm not sure it was my most fruitful lent of all because I'm sleep deprived and I think everything feels a bit like a blur right now, but it never fails that Easter feels like a cool drink of water on a hot day.  It's just refreshing to celebrate a God who lives.  I heard this song on Saturday when I was going through my annual mental shaming for not getting enough out of lent and it spoke to me (yes I know...I'm a world class Catholic with the guilt thing).

No comments:

Post a Comment