*Caution- this will talk about birthing baby stuff. Not for the faint of heart.
We had what I'll affectionately call Due Date Debacle 2013, and I thought we settled it last week when there were no changes to the cervix and I argued my lmp point so eloquently. This week I had to see another doctor because my doctor is out of town on a mission trip. I absolutely loved her, but my chart said I was 37 weeks so she proceeded as if I was actually 37 weeks and not 35. When we joked a little bit about Due Date Debacle 2013 and my fake fight with Dr Meyers (my doctor), she strongly encouraged that we get in the for an ultrasound to measure baby Sam because according to my belly measurement, he is measuring around 38 weeks. I panicked a little when I heard this news because if I'm reading between the lines, I know if he measures large on the ultrasound that we'll have to talk possible inductions or possibility of csection, etc. I first turned to the internet to read a little about larger babies and outcomes for moms and babies under all circumstances, and, let me tell you, people are so opinionated on the subject! There are a large group of people in the world who are terribly against induction for this reason and in many ways I get it. In theory, babies shouldn't get bigger than their moms can handle, but what I learned in delivering John is that sometimes 7 lbs and 7 oz can leave you on the injured list so I came away from my afternoon of panic and worry with the thought that we will just have to wait and see. If the ultrasound says he's not really all that big, great. If it says that he's already 8 lbs and getting bigger by the minute, then we evaluate the options and go from there. I am no hero. I have no need to say that I birthed a 10 lb baby and sustained a 4th degree tear in the process. I just want Sam to be healthy and we'll do what we have to do to make sure that is the case.
Speaking of which...here he is in all his 35 week 3 day glory:
This was John around the same time- I think I may have been bigger with John, but it's hard to tell since I'm carrying differently and I was about 20 lbs heavier with John in general.
The good news is that my blood pressure is still fine and I've had little to no swelling. I feel so lucky to have dodged that bullet thus far. In the pic above I was already enjoying bed rest. Ick.
And I have to report the crying incident that occurred last night for all of those pregnant ladies out there. I have literally never had this happen in my life. Matt and I were watching this video...
And I was laughing really hard like three minutes into it. I mean like laughing as hard as I've laughed in awhile and a few tears were starting to well up because I was laughing so hard and then BAM! The laugh sort of morphed into a sob and I just started sobbing. I mean literally sat there and sobbed for five minutes. I felt so bad for Matt because he was already laughing at the video and then couldn't help but laugh at me while saying "wait. is this serious right now? Are you seriously crying?" I wasn't offended in the least because it was the strangest thing I've ever experienced. I have no idea where that sobbing came from, but apparently, it was ready to be let loose. So that's why I cried this week...because of this hysterical video. You should watch it though because you're probably not as off your rocker as I am and it's so funny.
I'll be eager to report back on how the ultrasound goes next week and what it means in regards to when we'll meet this fella. Pray that we will be at peace regardless of how Sam enters this world as long as we're all healthy. Having a few hiccups the first time has truly made me understand how health really is the only important thing about this process.
I also wanted to share some baby shower pics. Our sweet friends here, The Verzals, were nice enough to throw us and the Rimpels (fellow resident family) a baby shower despite the fact that they are expecting their third baby girl in December. God bless them.
One side for baby Sam...
One side for baby Arielle...
We had to remind him that this was the only time he could hit a baby.
I had John dressed in a nice outfit which he threw a serious fit over to wear his "striped handsome shirt" and his "flip flops." I'm pretty sure he's a full Florida boy now. Can't get him out of flip flops!
Luckily I had a lot of help opening presents.
Got tons of good things...even Ole Miss things. How thoughtful since we're probably the only Ole Miss fans within central Florida.
Here is Joe entertaining the children while we visited and opened presents. Nice cape Joe.
But seriously...thank you.
And here is Tasha (other expectant mama-due dates are only four days apart)!
It was a great time. Unfortunately, Matt was on call and couldn't make it, but that is the life we live. Can't stop a party for a resident right?
Will report back as soon as we know anything! Thanks for all of the support!
