All winter we've been trying to get ourselves motivated to go to Blue Springs Park and check out the manatees that move in during the cool months, and I am so glad that we finally made ourselves go. The Murrays are all slightly nerdy and loved getting the opportunity to check out these amazing creatures for awhile. Truly an amazing sight.
Check out the newest addition to the manatee family! The smaller, darker manatee was born in the early hours of the morning on the day that we were there. We were lucky to get to see the sweet little thing and watch how the mother and her little one interacted. She was teaching the little one how to swim, and at one point playfully threw the baby in the air a little bit.
When we first walked over to this area, I noticed two large alligators among the manatees so of course I walked over there to get a closer look (and held onto John for dear life). Next thing I know, seriously 10 feet in front of us, this alligator goes after this sweet newborn manatee and the mom manatee whipped that big, fat tail up in the air and slammed it down on the alligator. I mean Matt and I sat there in shock and kept asking each other "did that really just happen?" Both of the alligators swam off and the manatees did this really interesting thing. One of them started sort of making waves in the water and then all of them started doing it. I think it may have been some type of defense mechanism...in fact...I think I'll google this as soon as I finish this blog. It was a national geographic moment for sure.
This one was making a break for it I think.
Every single grey blob that you see right under the water is a manatee. They were just on top of each other.
If you look right in the middle of this picture on the "shore" you will see one giant alligator. That puppy was huge. I'm not sure if he was the baby manatee perp or not, but I feel certain he's had his fair share of manatee pup in his day.
My husband so cheerfully states as we're walking along this trail, "we've got to come back here in the summer and go swimming!" What?!?!!??!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!? Um. No. Hell no. HELL NO! I mean excuse the passion, but what?!?!!?
The Verzals came and joined us. John and Alayna had a quick photo shoot on the boat. Is this not funny?
And after a picnic, a serious game of hide and seek ensued.
"Cover your eyes and count!"
Peeking. ;)
Nice hiding spot.
Sweet Scarlett sporting John's shades.
They've been found.
And lastly we explored this place which was the home of the first settler of this area. It was surprisingly huge for a home in this time period. All I could think about while we were there was how they could never keep any animals with those alligators lurking so closely. Hope they liked fish!
Definitely a fun Saturday. And now we're enjoying a laid back Sunday filled with mass, naps, and eventually a Superbowl party. Have I mentioned how much I love when Matt's on a light rotation?
Happy Superbowl Sunday to all of you!