What a week! A million and a half things have happened this week and some have been not so fun.
Sunday-Matt started residency! Hooray! So far, it's been about what I expected so let's pray it stays that way. We haven't seen a whole ton of him, but we have seen him.
Monday was a just shoot me kind of day. Tried to be super productive during John's nap time. Got car insurance changed over to FL, added renter's insurance to our policy, printed the seriously complicated forms to get our car tags and started filling them out. I also made muffins for John's afternoon snack and was feeling accomplished like I was going to be able to make this whole situation work for us without killing myself. Well John said the muffins were "yucky" so that should have been clue number one that things were headed south. I thought we needed a moment out of the house so we loaded up to head to a park I saw once when I was attempting to go to Walmart and got lost. Well in attempting to find this park...I got lost again while John spent his entire time in the back seat whining, "park mama. Park!" Then my phone rings and it's the lady from the attorney's office from our house closing cheerfully apologizing and letting me know that they were going to need MORE money because the bank is requiring us to pay July's payment because they didn't get the loan pay off in until July 2nd. WHAT?!!?!? So that means we've paid 1. our rent 2. buyer's July rent so that we could close in June and now 3. OUR JULY MORTGAGE!??!!? The entire reason we agreed to pay for someone's elses rent for July was so we could close in June and avoid our July mortgage payment. We're not that kind. Our realtor mentioned 6000 times that we had to close in time to make the payoff prior to the July payment being due, and we were assured everytime that it wouldn't be a problem. So here's the moral of this story. Nothing about this was our fault, but guess who's credit will be ruined if we don't pay the money- yep. that would be our credit. Sometimes life isn't fair. Well attorney lady said that we could just stop in a ups store and give them their account number and they would gladly pay for the overnight mailing fee (oh thank you so much...explitive, explitive). So we go to a park on the Halifax river because I couldn't not take John to a park at this point. Of course he ends up in the water and covered in sand. We have no change of clothes so I load up a soaking wet and sandy baby and drag him to the UPS store where I'm told that they can't just send a package using someone's number without a call tag. So what do I do?! I get in my car and sob. And sob. And sob. I cried because of the mortgage, but mostly I cried because for the first time (and I knew this day was coming) I felt so alone. I couldn't ask a family member to come hang out. I couldn't call up a friend and go do something fun. I know that the lonely time in a move is short lived and that I'll have friends and a life here very soon, but for that day I felt like such a lost little puppy.
Tuesday- I decided to pick myself up by my bootstraps and go get those car tags and then take John to "toddler time" at the library. Well I needed the proof of insurance that was supposed to be emailed to me the day before so i spent my morning on the phone with Allstate who informed me that something went wrong in trying to change the insurance and that they wouldn't be able to have the proof of insurance until later in the week. Well my friends, I felt the tears welling up again, but I just made myself stop. I put John down for an early nap (because he needed it! He has been waking up occassionally in the middle of the night screaming...like he's having a bad dream or something and then having a hard time getting back to sleep) and laid my tail on the couch to veg. And that's when I came across this:
RIP Nora. This spoke to me. I could not lay around and be a victim of all of these silly, beauracratic circumstances. I needed to be the change, if you will. So Tuesday afternoon we went to the pool for the afternoon and played our heads off. On a real note: there was this old lady who harassed me the entire time. She told me that I was letting John jump into the pool from too far from the edge, that I should let him go under all the way when he jumps in, that I shouldn't hold him with two hands when he's swimming, that I needed to wet the concrete before he got out because it's hot, that I needed to put his chair in the shade because he was too hot, that I needed to watch telling him scary stories because they could traumatize him, and more. Being southern I just simply smiled and said thank you for the advice ma'am, but we're just trying to play.
The moral of this story is that I was able to pull it together. And Wednesday we were surprised with Matt getting the day off and we had an awesome day.
Today will be full of a little bit of getting some things done and a playdate with some of the other resident's wives and children.
So yes. This week felt really real, but it was a real that I needed probably. Change is never easy. I wish that I could say that every moment in Florida has been total joy, but that isn't life. Some moments have been hard, but I'm chosing to be the heroine because who doesn't love a butkicking female lead anyway?
Keep it real out there folks.

Can I just say that I admire you SO very much! Seriously. We have been thinking about y'all a great deal...not that that helps. Hang in there! Sounds like you've been able to keep your sense of humor...it is your greatest weapon! Love y'all.
ReplyDeleteI SO feel you on the whole mortgage thing. In June we paid our mortgage in H'burg, a full month's rent for deposit for our house in Columbus, and our rent in Starkville. Then we were supposed to close on our H'burg house the first of July to avoid July's payment, but they moved it back so we were stuck with a whole month's mortgage for a home we would own for only 5 days during that month. Awful!
ReplyDeleteIt's hard moving - and I am thinking about you during this time. We can cry together! I cry a lot. And eat a lot of ice cream.
Good luck!! Heather
Thanks to both of you! Glad to know that we've got good friends lifting us up! We'll survive this next little bit. We don't have a choice right?
ReplyDelete