I've got journeying on the mind today because I'm trying to make a "journey through Holy Week" poster for our family to go through this week. I always feel like I fail at making Holy Week special so this is my attempt at refocusing us this week on what is important.
Anyway-this has nothing to do with Holy Week really (guess that means I'm already unfocused right? Ay yi yi). I have had these long discussions with a good friend recently regarding emotional vulnerability. It's not a topic I think about often because I am probably too comfortable with being emotionally vulnerable. I mean I will cry and tell you about my day if you will listen.
But here is what the discussions have mostly got me focused on- the journey. We are all on a journey. Some moments are glorious and some suck. Some moments are surrounded by love and support and some are very lonely. And that's ok.
I have read so much recently on social media giving a completely distorted view of what life is really like for people. You just posted awesome pictures of your family on vacation so I automatically assume that you are financially doing great, loving every waking moment with your family, and having way more fun than me. In summary- that your life is awesome and mine is mundane and mediocre. This is why I have loved this blog. I obviously love keeping up with my kiddos but I strive to write life as it is. The times that I have struggled. The times that were hard.
The funny thing is that when I write about those times. The real life I'm walking through these hard feelings kind of things, I find that it makes people uncomfortable. I have gotten some of the sweetest messages from long lost friends saying "thanks for being so honest about that. I've struggled with the same thing and it was nice to have someone relate." BUT I also get messages from really well meaning people who do not ever want me to feel the hard stuff. They are that way because they care about me and want what's best for me and I absolutely get that and appreciate that.
All I am really saying is that perhaps we all fear emotional vulnerability some because we think the hard stuff is wrong. That we shouldn't feel sad. That we shouldn't grieve. That we should never show real emotion because it makes us appear too weak. I say, real growth comes from walking through the hard times and learning something on the other side. We cannot walk through life only sharing the great things or we've done ourselves an injustice. I mean I'm not saying that I will make my next Facebook status "today I am struggling with the weight of motherhood and all of the responsibility it brings," but I truly hope that we all have people in our lives that we can say that to. People that will celebrate with us and people that will cry with us. People that will remind us of the good in ourselves but encourage us to grow and improve.
This journey cannot always be pretty. It cannot always be perfectly described in clever instagram hashtags. So I pray for authenticity. For "oh boy-I have been there moments." For "you too?" moments. For the kind of real that makes us human and relatable and bold. For the courage to be the friend who isn't afraid of the difficult stuff. The one who looks at hearts and souls. The one who encourages. And seriously pray that social media wouldn't cover us in self doubt but would be a tool for having meaningful connections in a time when face to face contact gets more and more difficult.
Journey on friends. And for old times' sake, keep it real y'all.
