I've been thinking...

Thursday, May 8, 2014

And that's always a problem.

I always have people tell me that I should write professionally...and by people I mean my mom and mother-in-law.  They tell me I would be a big hit.  They have also mentioned that they think I should run for president or at least the governor of Mississippi so I'm not sure they can be trusted.

While I don't think that I'm ready to write a novel anytime soon, I'm considering starting a separate blog.  What I absolutely love about this blog is looking back at pictures, favorite days, videos, and all the wonderful moments documented here.  What I have also learned to love is having an outlet to write.  I cannot tell you how much pleasure I derive from sitting behind this screen and letting the thoughts flow onto paper (well...the computer version of paper).  My only problem is I'm starting to think the two things need separate homes.  It makes me oh so happy for people to share a blog I wrote.  It's like an internet hug really, but sometimes I feel a little uneasy about the fact that it also opens the door for people to see the more personal aspects of our lives.  Maybe the two are so connected that they can't be split, but I'm thinking I might need to give it a shot.

I have a love/hate relationship with blogging.  I enjoy it so much, but I sometimes get annoyed with myself for enjoying it so much.  I'm afraid it could be construed as like the ultimate selfie and people tend to really hate selfies.  But then I have a morning like this today:

Today I decided to take Sam to the dentist with me.  I needed to have a permanent crown put on and I knew it wouldn't take long so I took my no bottle drinking babe with me.  I probably shouldn't have been surprised by the way this appointment unfolded, but I'd be lying if I said it went differently than I had envisioned.  We arrived, and he slept peacefully in his carseat.  He slept peacefully as they called me back and then prepped the room.  He woke up and smiled at me sweetly from his seat while they tried the crown on, and I gushed at him from the chair.  Then he lifted his leg and revealed to me more poop than should ever be allowed to escape a diaper.  It was everywhere.  I knew I couldn't change him so I opted for just getting out of the dentist as fast as I could and changing him at home which is less than a mile from the office.  And then he started to fuss a little as they were making some last minute changes to the crown.  I did everything to distract him from my horizontal position, but the dentist sweetly said "feel free to pick him up.  This will take a minute."  Of course.  Pick him up. That is the motherly thing to do. So I picked him up and wrapped him up in my nursing cover to try to cover up the piles of poop.  And then he wanted to nurse.  So the nice dentist went to see another patient while I nursed him using the dental bib as a nursing cover since the nursing cover was being used as poop concealer.  Nursing wasn't doing the normal trick to make him fully cooperative so I was about to give up when she walked back in and asked if we were ready.  I gave it one final chance.  I put Sam back into the carseat, and he almost immediately started to whine until she started to use the dental instruments and then he was in a trance.  He loved watching her use those tools.  I'm not sure whether it was the lovely blonde dentist or the tools, but I now have a permanent crown and only a little bit of poop on my clothes right now.  Success!

Yep.  It's mornings like this that make me think that some parent out there will read that and feel better about themselves at my expense and that's why I keep on blogging despite being a little embarrassed about it being my hobby.

All that to say, if you have any blogging/website expertise let me know.  I'm thinking about starting one that is a little more anonymous and that looks a little more professional.  I have no clue how to really accomplish that so any guidance in achieving that would be appreciated.  Also any opinions on this topic.  Too many mom bloggers already.  Really nobody is going to internet stalk your kids so get over yourself.  All opinions are welcome, but the negative ones will be subject to comments from my mother and my mother-in-law.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment