Fourth of July!

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

We were lucky enough to have Nina grace us with her presence for the first week of July! It was a blast to have her around, and we had a lot to do that was much easier to do without John. (Thanks Nina!!)

Saturday: Matt and I took off and did a full afternoon of furniture shopping for John which was completely unfruitful.  We learned very quickly that a lot of furniture stores don't carry kids furniture or they can order it for you, but I wasn't loving the idea of ordering without seeing it first!  Post furniture shopping exhaustion, my darling man took me to my favorite restaurant, Chili's.  Why do I love chilis better than anything?! No clue.  Post dinner, we went to another one of the many residency functions for a shrimp boil and had a nice time catching up with folks without the responsibility of keeping John out of the pool and the river and the pot they were boiling shrimp in and the trash and the grill...you know...everything.

Sunday: We decided to check out the gigantic Daytona Beach Flea Market and see if there was any furniture that we could paint/refinish there.  Well that turned out to be a total bust as well because they had no furniture and the smell of incense was so strong that I was returning to first trimester level nausea again.  (Although it is definitely worth a look just to appreciate what 3 miles worth of flea market looks like!)  On the way home, we passed one last furniture store that we hadn't looked at the day before and found exactly what we were looking for and for a super price! Three cheers!!  We left there and went by Target just to see if they had anything that would work with the big boy bed and not cost a fortune, and they totally did.  We were able to check off John's big boy room so much faster than I had expected!

Monday: Matt had to work, but came home to announce that his car was having some issues.  Matt and I put some money into Matt's car previously this year and declared it a loss if anything else were to go wrong.  Three months later and...we need to replace the front wheel bearings and the check engine light came on.  So we declare it's time to car shop.

Tuesday: Nina, John, and I spent the morning at the Children's Museum.  It's always a nice bit of indoor fun, but I think we may have to take a break until after the summer.  It was insanely crowded!

Wednesday: I think we went to the beach?  Or maybe that was another day.  But I do know that our great friends from the MS coast were able to stop in and see us on their way home from the keys! Ashley, Rick, and Ashley's parents (Mike & Gayla) stopped in for dinner, and we had so much fun catching up and getting to see them! I have been so shocked at how many people we have seen since moving here.  Daytona has more passerthroughs than I ever realized!

Thursday: Matt and I head car shopping to hit up the 4th of July sales.  And Thursday (after the longest day possible) Matt and I decide to keep his car and give it another chance. Haha.  Car shopping was so exhausting! And it only made us realize how much we really couldn't afford a new car at the moment.  So after being harassed by some of the best cars salesmen around, we packed up our stuff and headed home to try to enjoy the rest of the 4th.  Nina had prepared us a delicious dinner and we headed out to see the fireworks!

 Checking out the fire truck at the Ormond Beach 4th Festival!

Tried listening to the band, but one member of our family thought they were just too loud.

And finally stayed up late enough to catch the fireworks! Talk about a happy boy!



Friday: John's bedroom furniture was delivered and we got to work getting his room all set up.  We set out to just get stuff that could match his current curtains and pictures because we couldn't do a full room redo, but I think it turned out precious!

Big boy bed! Excuse the shotty cell phone pics.


So proud of his boat!  There is still a wall that looks a little bare, but it's the one his bed is on and I just hate to put something up now.  I know there will be some jumping in this bed so I figured we would just let it be...until I can't take it anymore at least.

After getting him all set up, we headed out for dinner at a restaurant and ate and danced to the band.  It was a nice feeling to have his room done and to know where we stood with the car.  Lord knows I was stressing all week over both.

Saturday: We dropped Nina off at the airport (wahh) and headed to one of John's friend's birthday party.  She just so happens to be one of the new intern's daughter so it was nice to spend some time getting to know the new interns.  


Sunday: Believe it or not we headed out to St Augustine when Matt got off of work for some odd reason.  I guess just to see how tired we could get before the end of the weekend.  We rode the trolley around town, went to mass, had dinner, and then headed back home! John is the biggest fan of St Augustine ever so we made his day for sure.  If we can't do Disney, we have to do something to keep him happy right?

My loves.  I tease Matt constantly about this surfer dude hat he's wearing.  I make sure that he knows that he is officially not going to be welcomed back in MS with a hat like that. ;)  

And now we're caught up! It has been a busy time, but I'm hoping this week will slow down considerably.  And thanks to Nina for being here to help us get some non-John friendly things done!

No comments:

Post a Comment