You are five. Mom and dad always have a hard time getting used to saying that you are a year older, but I have noticed that even you seem surprised that you are already five. If someone asks you how old you are I can tell that it takes you a minute to get the number five out of your mouth. Five feels big, but you make it look good my man.
Now where to begin.
Above all, you are a total joy. You are such a good kid. I mean you really are. You have your moments like all kids, but overall, you are such a good listener. You're understanding when things don't go your way, and you're thoughtful and grateful when things do go your way. I am blown away sometimes for things that you thank me for. One night in particular that I want to always remember was recently when daddy was working or was out of town and I was exhausted and at my wit's end and you woke up once with a bad dream which also woke your brother up so I got you settled and then went and picked up your brother and was getting him settled and you looked at me and said "thanks for always being there" and then rolled back over and went to sleep. I'm not sure why you would have said that or how you could have known I needed that, but you're super intuitive that way. You are very perceptive of how people are feeling and are very sensitive to other's needs. It's a beautiful thing to witness.
You are also hysterical. Daddy and I spend all of our time laughing with you or at you, but you seemed pleased with both so I think it's ok. I guess we shouldn't be surprised at your sense of humor since you are named after your Pappy who was the biggest jokester of all, but I am occasionally surprised by how sophisticated your sense of humor really is for your age. You absolutely get the joke and at this point are doing little comedic routines that you come up with on your own. The other night at dinner Daddy and I laughed until we cried at one of these moments. At dinner, you like for everyone to go around and tell about how their day was. This time you requested to go last and you listened to us tell about interesting patients or folding another load of laundry, and then it came to you and you said "well..." and then paused and straight faced as anything you morphed into this perfect Johnny Cash accent and finished "my dad left home when I was three and he didn't leave much for ma and me" (which are the lyrics to one of your current favorites, A Boy Named Sue by Johnny Cash). It was so unexpected and the timing was perfect and I seriously haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Oh the joys you bring.
And while we're on the subject of music, you are becoming a serious music man. You LOVE music and you love to perform. I sort of leave the music to you and daddy since he is also very musically inclined, but I love to get to be your audience and chime in whenever you give me permission. Yes...that's right permission. You mostly tell me when it is appropriate for me to sing along and when I should clap and when I should go wild and clap and yell and demand an encore. Your most current obsession is Jon Bon Jovi, but you also love Hawaiian sounding music, Elvis, the Beatles, and any song really that dad finds it imperative that you are introduced to. There are just too many to name. Most nights dad gives you and Sam a bath and you guys sing your hearts out while he plays guitar. It's probably my favorite time of day to hear you all in there laughing and singing while I clean up the kitchen in peace. ;) You really are talented though and I can't wait to see where your love of music leads. You have great rhythm and can really sing. Pretty soon we'll start talking about learning an instrument, but we're waiting another year or so for you to be really developmentally ready and excited about that.
When you're not singing with your dad or cracking us up, you are most likely trying to bribe me into letting you watch another Wild Kratts episode, asking me to search something on the internet and read to you everything there is to know about it, building something elaborate out of legos, blocks, etc. or dressing up in some crazy outfit and giving me very strict instructions on how I am to live inside whatever world you are creating around you. Your search for knowledge is exhausting. You want to know everything about everything we encounter. I have learned more about animals, history, and geography in the last year than I ever thought I would because of our constant google searches. You want to know about every war that has ever been fought, every animal that we could ever dream up, and love to know information about each city, state, and country. You will say things like "I'd like to go coal mining in West Virginia sometime soon ok?" I told your dad that I am so grateful that you find us capable of fulfilling all of your travel wishes, but a little overwhelmed by the amount of road trips it will require. You love to watch shows like Wild Kratts or documentaries about various animals or people. You really do just soak things up like a sponge. You also still love Disney Junior shows and have rekindled a love for Elmo as your brother has recently become obsessed. One of the joys of you being the oldest is that we get to keep you innocent a little while longer because there are no older siblings introducing you to the ways of the world so while Elmo is a bit juvenile I'm sure I thank the Lord daily that you don't care yet. You are also so skilled at building things that I am often left in awe of your creations. That is one task that you will sit quietly and do for as long as we give you some space to do it. You have all sorts of different lego type things and you come up with the neatest out of the box things. I'm not sure if engineering is in your future, but I would not be surprised at all if you choose that ...should your rockstar career fail, of course. And I could not leave out your love of dress up and imagination continues. You love pirates, soldiers, native americans, but most of all right now you love a frontiersman. Specifically Davy Crockett, but you also love Daniel Boone and just playing frontiersman in general. You always case me in these crazy roles of either being a damsel in distress, a sneaky and unsuspecting criminal, or your sister or mother. You wear me out having to play inside the world of the frontier all day but nothing brings you more joy than when I join you in the 1800s instead of making you come out of that world and join us in the 21st century. You love, love, love to play pretend.
Seriously though John- you wear me out. You are a classic first born and are so demanding of all of my time and attention. It isn't that I don't adore you with my whole heart, but you have not yet mastered the art of playing independently. You definitely love to play with other kids, but your very favorite thing is to play with me or daddy. You can make me feel so bad when I need to get other things done because you act rather pitiful, but we're working on it. :/ What I mean by that is that I am working on it and you are coping.
Recently dad and I have been working really hard with you on expanding your nutrition and you have made us so proud that I want to cry most nights at dinner out of joy. You have always been the world's pickiest eater and because I didn't want to fight, I just allowed it. After a serious bought with being sick constantly in May and early June, we decided that it was time for a big boy nutritional overhaul. I'm sure your diet isn't what caused you to get sick over and over but we felt like it was the only thing we could really control to boost your chances of not being sick so we went for it. You were not thrilled at first but when forced with the decision to either eat better or take a vitamin, you choose vegetables. No child has ever been more afraid of a vitamin before but we'll allow it if you keep eating broccoli. You have learned to try new things and are finally eating several meats and vegetables to add to your diet of fruit alone. You have conquered and enjoyed green beans, broccoli, sweet potatoes, and this mama has wanted to shout it from the mountain tops I have been so proud of you. You still prefer fruit and dairy as your main sources of nutrition but you are working in a few more things. And sweets. You love all sweets, but you're great about knowing that sweets are treats and not a dietary staple. You really are a reasonable kid through and through.
You just started school back and I have been so shocked at what a difference a year makes. You are doing another year of pre-k (called Primary at your school) because you have such a late birthday and we just weren't ready to give you over to Kindergarten. Mommy needed one more year of pre-k to prepare for real school. Mostly because I like to skip school some days and go to Disney world. You are going every day for the full day this year and I think you are enjoying it. Your teacher says you come in and get right to work on your lessons and are so much more interested in the academic side of the classroom this year. I really think being one of the older kids in the class has boosted your confidence a ton and has already made you a little more focused and much more social. You would be surprised to know that while you are always the life of the party at home, you are sometimes a little less animated at school. They say you are much more of an observe, observe, and then act kind of kiddo. Who knew?!
I'm not sure I could ever describe all of what you know in one paragraph but you are working on sounding out words and do so well with it when you will actually sit still and focus. We think you are such an interesting learner because you LOVE to learn what you find interesting (which is a lot) but you are not exactly the most disciplined when it comes to working on letters, numbers, writing, etc. You are doing addition at school and seem proud of yourself when you do well with a lesson and you do the writing you are forced to do, but you are pretty vocal about it being boring. I'm not sure how this will translate into your academic career. :/ I have no doubt that you are brilliant, but I have a feeling we'll be beating you over the head with homework and schoolwork later. We shall see.
You are also a very sweet brother. You and Sam have the cutest dern friendship and hearing you laugh together makes childbirth seem worth it. Ha. Because I don't want to leave a false impression with you later in life, you must know that you can be mean as hell to your brother at times too. I have no idea why siblings love to push each other's buttons but you know Sam's better than anyone else you and take great joy in pushing them (the feeling is mutual though and he can make you madder than anyone else). BUT I would say that you laugh more than you fight. You sword fight and you wrestle and you chase and you snuggle and it is a sweet bond that I love more than anything to watch. You are so sweet about the upcoming arrival of your next brother, Kai, and I can't wait to see how your relationship takes off. Just this morning I told you that when Kai was born it was going to feel like mommy had to give him a lot of attention at first but that I wanted you to know that I love you more than anything and that nothing would change that, and you responded in true John fashion and gave me a big hug and said "I know mom. And Sam and Kai will have to nap sometimes and we'll have that time to spend together just doing mom and John things. I'm going to help you with Kai so don't worry." And you know what?! I kind of stopped worrying.
I could go on and on and on clearly because this has already been the longest letter ever written, but I think I should probably stop now. Above all know that you are one loved kiddo. You have so many people in your life who just adore you and are watching with joy to see what amazing things you will do in our world. You have people cheering you on and knowing that you are capable of big, big things. We could not be more proud to call you our baby boy. You light up a room and exude positivity. We literally cannot imagine what our lives would be like without you. You teach me daily and push me daily to be a better person and believe it or not you lead me closer to God. Sometimes it's because I'm praying prayers of "Dear Lord please give me the patience to deal with this gift," but usually it's "Dear Lord, thank you for this gift and make me a person worthy of it."
Happy, happy birthday dear one. Here's to another glorious year of knowing and loving you!
A few birthday celebration pics for you...you go big for your birthday. ;)
With all of the love you can imagine times three,
Mama and Daddy













